Tuesday, September 9, 2014

We Are ROCKSTARS!

We did a lesson on wrinkled hearts and how to show kindness to others.
 
When thinking of a title for this blog post, I couldn't help but come up with We Are ROCKSTARS!  The kids have been working really hard to meet the expectations of bathroom, hallway, and lunchroom behavior.  They have been doing an amazing job and we have had a plethora of blue tickets come our way and golden tickets as well! We earned our 15th GOLDEN TICKET today!!  Brennen thinks that when we earn our 20 (yes, we strive big!) that we should get to eat lunch in the classroom. I think that sounds perfect, but we will discuss it at morning meeting tomorrow and decide as a team.  I am so impressed with how the kids are catching themselves when they forget to raise their hand or their voice gets a little too loud.  They are figuring it out!
 
And guess what? SO AM I!! The first week of second grade was really tough. I almost felt like a first year teacher, even though I'm a 17 year veteran.  It was good for me though, because it gave me a little glance as to how our first year teachers are feeling and many of my second graders as they enter a new school year.  I remind myself to be patient with myself and my students and that together we will figure it all out.  We took the STAR reading test today-the first of these computer based tests our second graders have ever taken.  What could have been a miserable experience was actually better than I thought it would be because the kids tried so hard to listen to directions and follow them. I was so proud of them.  Now we have to take that information and grow from it....TOGETHER!
 
I'm so glad I made this decision to try something new.  It's keeping me excited, it's keeping me motivated and I'm growing from the experience.  It's not easy, but nothing that is worth it is ever truly easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment