Monday, September 1, 2014

The Night Before the First Day of School


It's the Night Before the First Day of School!  Much like the anticipated Night Before Christmas!  I'm pretty sure I won't sleep much, as it has been the case the last 17 years.  I wouldn't say it's from being nervous, although there is always a bit of anxiety in even the most veteran of teachers.  Will the kids like the room?  What will they be like? Will everything go as planned?  Did I plan enough? Did I plan too little?  Etc, etc, etc...but what I have always come to realize after that first day ends, is that the most important thing about the first day of school is the connection you make with your kids.  Your bulletin boards do not have to be perfect (as I had someone state to me at the gym this morning that he can't believe how much time teachers put into bulletin boards because he can't remember any of his bulletin boards his teachers put up at school), glitches are going to happen and yes, you have probably planned too much.  My excitement comes from the "newness" of a new year.  It's a clean slate, an opportunity to be better than you were last year.  An opportunity to learn from your students and from your colleagues.  An opportunity to take risks.  I cannot wait to grow with my second graders this year.  I'm not sure I have been more excited about a school as I am right at this moment.  Our school is full of enthusiasm and enthusiasm is contagious.  This will be the best year ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment